I Can't Give You Anything but Love, Baby
About the Song
"I Can't Give You Anything but Love, Baby"
is a jazz standard that was introduced as part of the Broadway production of "Blackbirds of 1928". The song was written for Adelaide Hall & she sang it in the Broadway revue. She recorded the song in 1938 with Fats Waller in London at Abbey Road Studio (!)
Notable recordings include:
- Gene Austin in 1928
- Louis Armstrong in 1929
- Ethel Waters & Duke Ellington in 1932
- Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys in 1935
- Billie Holiday in 1936
- Anita O'Day recorded it on the radio with Nat King Cole during 1941-44
- Bing Crosby in his 1954 album "Some Fine Old Chestnuts"
- Ella Fitzgerald recorded live on her 1957 album "Ella at Zardi's". She was also recorded live singing it in Brussels the same year.
- Diana Krall on her 1999 album "When I Look In Your Eyes
List of covers: https://secondhandsongs.com/work/11006/versions