Choruses for Change
There are hundreds of terrific choruses that have a mission of creating a better world through their music. Here is a small sample. Support their important work! Let us know more that you know of!
Here is a great article on this whole phenomena: "The Rebirth of Resistance Choirs" by Justine Kurland, in Topic issue #24, June 2019.
- Charm City Labor Chorus (Baltimore MD)
- DC Labor Chorus (Wash. Post article: "DC Labor Chorus: The Musical Arm of the Resistance")
- Fruit of Labor Singing Ensemble (arm of Black Workers for Justice in NC)
- New York City Labor Chorus
- San Francisco Rockin' Solidarity Labor Chorus
- Seattle Labor Chorus
- Solidarity Singers of NJ State Industrial Union Council
- Black Workers Center Chorus (Washington DC) - contact Luci Murphy via Facebook or 202.234.8840
https://laborchorus.com/choruses/ (listing of 9 choruses in the US and UK)
- Madison WI
- Also includes info on Solidarity Singalongs in Walworth Co. WI, Austin TX, and Lansing MI
- Anna Crusis Women's Choir (Philadelphia PA)
- Brooklyn Women's Chorus (above is a video of the chorus singing at our 2015 Rise Again release concert)
- San Diego Women's Chorus - an LGBTQ-identified feminist sisterhood of musicians
Justice Choir is a template to encourage more group singing for social justice. Designed around our Justice Choir Songbook, our goal is a grassroots movement to engage in the empathetic, collaborative, and collective power of singing together to create change. There are 15 local chapter choirs across the U.S. This grassroots movement began at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Minneapolis. https://www.justicechoir.org/
- Côr Cochion Caerdydd (Cardiff Reds Choir - in Wales)
- Nottingham Clarion Choir (England)
- Occupella (Bay Area, California)
- Resistance Revival Chorus (New York City)
- Rev. Billy & the Stop Shopping Choir (New York City) - a progressive chorus working around issues of climate change, consumerism, gentrificaton, etc.
- Sing in Solidarity (New York City) - a project of NYC Democratic Socialists of America
- Thrive Choir (Oakland CA)
- Voices Rising Philly (Phila, PA) Facebook page. a group that wants to sing at rallies to protest the Trump administration, steady minds and uplift hearts.
- Resistance Revival Chorus 60 women & non-binary musicians. "Musicians exploring activism & activists exploring music"
- Common Thread Chorus (Toronto, CA)
- One City Chorus (St. Petersburg FL)
- Midcoast Community Chorus (Rockport ME)
- Mystic Chorale (Boston MA)