The Music Box: Online Song Database
Breaking news: We have a new ARTIST SEARCH page at www.riseupandsing.org/songs/artist-search
How it works:
- Enter the name of any artist who either composed a song in our database or is recorded or performs in a video on our song pages
- It finds both individual artists and groups
- You can search by first or last name only or just word for group (e.g. "stones" will find The Rolling Stones). You can even search for part of a name such as "MORM" will find Mormon Tabernacle Choir.
- The artist/composer pages list all the songs in our Music Box that the artist composed - as well as the songs where we have linked to Youtube videos they appear on
Currently if you misspell a name it won't work. Mark Heiman, our Music Box webmaster extraordinaire, is working on making these searches "smarter" (as with Google searches) but this is quite time-consuming. So if you don't get a hit, try different spellings or parts of names.
Go directly to The Music Box song search page
You can now find song pages for every song in Rise Up Singing as well as Rise Again!
What is this? An online music database for the songs in Rise Up Singing and Rise Again. We call it "The Music Box" because it provides an easy way to listen to and learn the songs in our songbooks. Individual song pages have been created for all ongs in Rise Up Singing and Rise Again - as well as a bunch of other songs that we want to shine a light on. Over 2500 songs altogether and growing.
How do you get to these song pages? The easiest way is via our Song Search page. Search by song title, song genre, culture (languages, etc.) or songbook. It is also possible to go to song pages using either the Titles Song List or the Book-order Song List (located under Rise Again on our website). The page for each song shows:
- where to find the song in our books (book, chapter, page #) - if it's in RUS or RA
- one of more YouTube links where you can listen to the song
- the song genre and who composed it, and
- links to online information on the song (on Wikipedia, Mudcat Cafe, etc.)
Searches by artist. There are now individual artist pages in the Music Box as well as song pages. There is an artist page for every composer of songs in Rise Up Singing and Rise Again. There are also artist pages for many of the groups and individual artists who have recorded these songs. Artist pages list songs that are composed by the artist and also of songs they have performed (wherever we have their videos in our Music Box database.)
Although this search page above does not yet have a "box" to enter searches for songs written or covered by a particular artist, you can find these artist pages in 2 ways:
#1: Enter the name of an artist in the search box at the upper right corner of every page on this site—If this artist in our database, the artist’s name will appear. e.g. Try typing "The Beatles" or "Willie Nelson" in the search box. In some cases, this may give you too many results.
#2: Think of a song the artist you have in mind has composed.
- Look up the song using the Music Box search page or the general search box on the top of any page
- Go to that page and find the "Composed by" line. Click on the artist's name (in blue)
- e.g. Go to the song page for "Yellow Submarine" Under "Composed by" you can click on either "John Lennon" or "Paul McCartney" to see a list of songs each of them has written.
for songs recorded by an artist: Click on the name of the artist who created videos on any song page (where these are listed above the video link photos). e.g. on the "Yellow Submarine" page you can either click on "The Beatles" after rec/performed by OR you can click on "The Beatles" above the first video shown.
Newly added features of the Music Box:
You can now search for songs in Rise Up Singing as well as those in Rise Again.
Starting with any song, you easily can scroll forward or backward through Rise Up Singing and Rise Again (on the page for any song, click on "next" at the lower right of page to go directly to the next song in the book.)
The song search page now allows searches by song genre (e.g. rounds, country songs, children's composed songs, or Irish traditional songs) and by "culture" (language, nationality, or religion).
Artist pages show which songs are composed or recorded by a given artist. To get to an artist page, use the general search box as described above. Or if you are on the webpage for any song composed by a given artist, you can click on the name of the artist where it appears on the song page (it will be in blue). If you click on the artist it will take you to that page for that artist where it lists all the songs that that artist has in our database.
Improved artist searches directly from the Music Box song search page.
Other things being built / added to the Music Box:
- Searches by song subject, Broadway shows & films, and holidays
- English translations for songs in languages other thn English
- Alternate lyrics besides the lyrics included in our books (e.g. for traditional songs)
- Leadsheets for some of the harder to find songs
- The addition of the 80 songs in Pete's autobiography Where Have All the Flowers Gone.
Needless to say it is taking a lot of work to build this database. We welcome new volunteers to help create this database and keep it up to date!
If you would like to work on the database, contact us at email@example.com. All work is done online, so people can help out from anywhere there is internet! Videos of songs on YouTube often disappear over time, so please email us to let us know of any broken links in this database or to provide video suggestions or other info we can add to the song pages.