Hard Times Come Again No More
Rise Up Singing:
Let us pause in life's pleasures and count its many tears
Artist & Tune
About the Song
This "parlor song" written in 1854 by American composer Stephen Foster has been recorded hundreds of times by artists from a huge variety of genre from string bands like Red Clay Ramblers to Bruce Springsteen and Kristin Chenoweth.
Discography of the song: https://secondhandsongs.com/work/97028/versions#nav-entity
- Jennifer Warnes, from her 1979 album Shot Through The Heart.
- The North Carolina band Red Clay Ramblers featured the song on their 1981 album Hard Times.
- Irish singer Mary Black on her 1984 album Collected.
- Kate & Anna McGarrigle on the 1991 Songs of the Civil War collection.
- Emmylou Harris in her 1992 live album At the Ryman.
- Bob Dylan for his 1992 album Good as I Been to You.
- Harvey Reid plays his acoustic guitar on his 1994 album Chestnuts.
- In Series One (1995) of the "Transatlantic Sessions", the song was performed by an ensemble composed of Kate & Anna McGarrigle, Rufus Wainwright, Emmylou Harris, Mary Black, Karen Matheson & Rod Paterson.
- Nanci Griffith on her 1998 effort Other Voices Too (A Trip Back to Bountiful).
- Johnny Cash on the Redemption Songs disc of the 2003 Unearthed box set of out-takes and alternate versions from his American Recordings series.
- Mavis Staples recorded it for the Grammy award-winning album Beautiful Dreamer (2004). (This track was used to open the 2nd episode of Ken Burns' 2019 PBS documentary miniseries, Country Music.)
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's 2009 Working on a Dream Tour and captured on their 2010-released London Calling: Live in Hyde Park concert video, in the midst of the Great Recession.
- Mary J. Blige and The Roots at the 2010 Hope for Haiti Now: A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief telethon.
- The Chieftans on their 2012 Voice of Ages album - featuring Paolo Nutini.
- An Iron & Wine performance featured in commercials promoting the 2012 Copper television series on BBC America.
- Kristin Chenoweth performed the song on her 2014 live album Coming Home.
- Joan Baez with Emmylou Harris in 2016 on her 75th Birthday Celebration album.
New verse by Woody Guthrie for COVID times:
Though our faith may be tested, our sorrows will not last
These are hard times & troubles we endure
And it helps to be reminded this too shall also pass
Oh hard times come again no more
Tag after the final chorus:
Oh, better times will come again once more