Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream
Artist & Tune
About the Song
This classic peace song was written in 1950 by Ed McCurdy.
Here is a list of many of the covers of the song: https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/145840. Here are some notable ones:
- Pete Seeger in 1956 on his "Love Songs for Friends & Foes" LP on Folkways. You can hear him sing it live on his "Complete Bowdoin College Concert" recorded in 1960. He also recorded in on his 1967 studio album "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy & Other Love Songs".
- "Songs of Guy Carawan". a 1956 LP also on Folkways
- Joan Baez recorded live in 1962 & released on her 1982 "Very Early Joan" LP
- When they were recording it in 1963, John Stewart & NIck Reynolds of the Kingston Trio said they couldn't sing it without crying. It was released on their 1964 "Time to Think" LP on Capitol Records.
- Tracy Newman in 1965 on the PBS children's series "What's New"
- Cornelis Vreeswijk translated the song into Swedish as "I natt jag drömde något som" in 1964. It was included on a live concert album with Ann-Louise Handson & Fred Åkerström
- The Swedish rock band The Hep Stars recorded the song in Swedish and also in English in 1966.
- The Carolyn Hester Coalition (band) released a folk rock version in 1969. An acoustic version is included on her 2009 "We Dream Forever" album.
- McCurdy recorded his song on his 1976 "Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream" album on Bear Family Records & on Vol. 1 #1 of "Fast Folk Musical Magazine" in 1982.
- Arlo Guthrie recorded it on his 1978 album with the band Shenandoah.
- Johnny Cash recorded it near the end of his life in 2003. It was released post-humously in 2010 on his "American VI: Ain't No Grave" album
- Garth Brooks on his 2005 album "The Limited Series"
- Willie Nelson featured on Charles Lloyd & The Marvels' 2016 album "I Long to See You"
In November 1989, as Tom Brokaw stood on top of the Berlin Wall, he directed his NBC-TV cameras towards the school children on the East German side of the Berlin Wall, to show the children singing "Last Night I Had the Strangest Dream" en masse as the wall was being dismantled.